To All Contesters Around the World:
The World Wide Radio Operators Foundation has been very busy behind the scenes over the past few months supporting a number of important projects on behalf of our fellow competitors. In summary, WWROF:
- Funded 2010 & 2011 certificate expenses for entire family of CQ contests ensuring that all recipients have now received their well-deserved awards.
- Provided partial funding of CQ certificate mailing costs.
- Implemented log checking services for IARU HF Championship HQ stations and set the stage for supporting a variety of contests in the future.
- Procured software defined radio (SDR) equipment to assist the CQWW Contest Committee with on-air recordings for log checking, providing ground-breaking adjudication services.
- Upgraded hardware on CQWW log checking systems.
- Developed and promoted a Contest Code of Ethics (CCOE). The CCOE was subsequently adopted by the CQWW committee and has obtained broad support within CQ’s entire family of contests including the CQ WW DX, CQ WPX, CQ RTTY, and CQ 160 and beyond (see www.cqww.com).
- Funded a centralized PO Box to facilitate timely collection of paper logs for CQ contests.
- Implemented broader international organizational support by electing S50A and VE3EJ as new WWROF Directors.
- Added further depth to leadership team with the appointment of K5ZD as our newest WWROF Director.
As we look forward to 2012 and beyond, WWROF has a strong desire to make an even larger contribution to contesting. The computing infrastructure needs of the contest community continue to grow. We also look forward to supporting further improvements to contest log checking such as the development of improved tools for log submissions and encouragement programs for newcomers. Our team will be making improvements to the WWROF Web site, with the goal being to make it a more useful resource for contesters everywhere.
As always, we welcome your input. Don’t hesitate to share what’s on your mind. As the winter contest season is winding down, now is the time to implement great WWROF projects for the fall and next year!
See you in the next contest!
John Dorr, K1AR
Chairman, World Radio Operators Foundation